Re: [Chicken-users] UTF-8 support in eggs

From: Alex Shinn
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] UTF-8 support in eggs
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 13:22:29 +0900

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 12:59 PM, John Cowan <address@hidden> wrote:

> The same approaches also apply to eggs needing the full
> numeric tower, though with UTF-8 there's less chance of
> breakage when mixing eggs which do and don't use the utf8 egg.

I would say that UTF-8 has *more* chance of causing undetected
breakage, because UTF-8 strings have an interpretation as core
strings, whereas bignums, ratnums, compnums etc. don't look
like numbers to the core, and errors will be thrown.

Well, less chance of breakage, but more chance the
breakage goes undetected.  Possibly a much worse
situation, but it's possible to know a priori that there
won't be breakage, e.g. the non-utf8 egg is format,
and you're not doing any padding or truncating.  On
the other hand, it's pretty much impossible to mix
numbers and non-numbers eggs.

--
Alex