Re: [Chicken-users] UTF-8 support in eggs

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] UTF-8 support in eggs
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 13:51:22 -0400

Alex Shinn scripsit:

> Hmmm... that's upsetting.  Python 3 is a notorious dead-end language.

That's a premature judgment (and rather Google-centric).  Since Python
3.0 was DOA, the intended five-year transition plan to "Python 3 by
default" ended only a month ago (Python 3.1 was released in June 2009).
There was never any intention to move old applications, only that
enough libraries and infrastructure would be dual-mode to make new
application development in Python 3 practical.  That's *almost* the case
today, from what I understand, though there are some show-stoppers
for particular kinds of applications.  For the nitty-gritty, see
<http://python-notes.curiousefficiency.org/en/latest/python3/questions_and_answers.html>.

In any case, the overall problems with the Python transition don't affect
the validity of specific solutions to specific problems.  I'm considering
writing a derivative of SRFI 13 that works on bytevectors.

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        address@hidden
Any sufficiently-complicated C or Fortran program contains an ad-hoc,