Re: [Chicken-users] Wiki design

From: Arthur Maciel
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Wiki design
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 21:08:08 -0300

Matt and Yaroslav, thanks for your opinions! (more below)

From: Matt Gushee <address@hidden>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 00:47:35 -0600

The current Chicken site (in production) has 116 characters per line.
The proposed redesign, with its looser letter spacing (which, by the
way, I disagree with, but that's a separate email) will reduce that a
bit, but I think it is still over 100.

Do you propose reducing width or enlarging font-size? Definitely I'm not a web designer so my proposal is much more an empirical work than a theoretically oriented one (although I'm already reading the site you've pointed out! Really thanks!).

Feel free to suggest modifications, but I would really appreciate some guidance on css code or even patches. I can send the actual css file if you need it.

And what about the increase of the line-height? Please include here why do you don't like it. I'd like to hear it.

From: Yaroslav Tsarko <address@hidden>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 11:12:40 +0400

But anyway, current wiki design makes me feel uncomfortable. May be we could try with different color background? Instead of current color (ffba54) should we try some lighter color? For example: fcd294 or fce5c3? They feel more airy and not so strong. At least they disturb less when reading text of the wiki.

Yaroslav, I also don't like the current background, but I still prefer it comparing to the colors you've suggested. Probably we will also need some (color) theory to inspire any change. Otherwise we will fall into a complex territory called taste :)

What do you think?

Best wishes,
Arthur