Re: [Chicken-users] OpenSSL egg option defaults poll

From: Thomas Chust
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] OpenSSL egg option defaults poll
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 05:45:16 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 16 Oct 2014, Andy Bennett wrote:

[...]
Having said that, I'm not sure which clients on which operating systems
are SSL 3.0 only.
[...]

Hello Andy,

if I understand the situation correctly, almost nobody uses SSLv3 since it was quickly superseded by the newer TLS variants. But the initial connection setup is similar between SSLv2 and SSLv3, while for TLS it is entirely different and usually one uses the SSLv2 variant with additional information that TLS is supported, if the other endpoint also supports TLS, the protocol will then be upgraded. You can tell OpenSSL to support only SSLv2, only SSLv3, only TLS or all three variants together. But you cannot specifically exclude SSLv3 and still allow SSLv2 and TLS.

[...]
Have you seen this article by Google about TLS_FALLBACK_SCSV?
[...]

Yes. Whether that security measure is supported depends on the version of the underlying SSL library, I think it is incorporated in OpenSSL 1.0.1j. I'm unsure whether anything special needs to be done to activate the feature.

Personally, I think the big mess of SSL/TLS protocol versions, extension features and cipher suites is so hideously complex by now that there will always be some more hidden vulnerabilities %-] For anything truly security critical I would try to use an alternative protocol with a less convoluted design and with stronger default crypto algorithms.

Ciao,
Thomas