Re: [Chicken-users] Visual Studio is here

From: Oleg Kolosov
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Visual Studio is here
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 23:42:29 +0300

On 22 Nov 2014, at 19:07, Peter Bex <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 07:01:44PM +0300, Oleg Kolosov wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> Considering that Visual Studio 2013 is now essentially free
>> (http://www.visualstudio.com/products/visual-studio-community-vs) I’m taking
>> the opportunity to announce again that I’m working on a version of CHICKEN
>> Scheme which can be compiled with it (with the help of CMake).
>>
>> There are few other changes not supported by the CHICKEN developers.
>> Roughly, the current agenda is:
>>
>> - make the code more approachable to an occasional contributor
>> - replace the scheduler and posix support code with libuv facilities
>> - better cross-compilation support
>> - source level debugging
>> - more usable profiler
>>
>> You are welcome to follow/fork me on github:
>>
>> https://github.com/bazurbat/chicken-scheme
>> https://github.com/bazurbat/chicken-eggs
>
> Hello Oleg,
>
> I applaud your efforts to make CHICKEN work better under Windows.
> However, I took a look at your fork and it looks like you're making
> various sweeping changes.  Do you have a plan for making the merge
> back into CHICKEN core, or are you intending to maintain a real fork?
>
> Cheers,
> Peter

Well, merging back into the core will make me happy, but, before that, I plan
to actually implement the aforementioned features. Right now I have only barely
working prototypes. You, as an upstream, have strong policies and obligations
(like maintaining backward compatibility and such) which will slow me down. I
prefer to rapidly change everything without discussions. So, it looks like this
will be a real fork for the time being.

The development is completely public, on github, and I don’t mind breaking
things, maybe this will encourage people who does not want to bother with
patches and mailing lists to contribute.

The test suite still passes and I have complex production system (thread heavy
and performance sensitive) which still runs, so I hope the real breakage will
not go unnoticed.

--
Regards, Oleg
Art System