Re: [Chicken-users] [Ann] New eggs: Hyperscene and Hypergiant

From: Daniel Leslie
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] [Ann] New eggs: Hyperscene and Hypergiant
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2015 15:01:13 -0800

I love it!

Than-you for the hard work.

-Dan

On 6 Jan 2015 12:47, "Alex Charlton" <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Chickeneers,

I'm happy to announce two new eggs: Hyperscene and Hypergiant.

Hyperscene is a relatively low-level scene management library that is a set of bindings to a C library of the same name.

Hypergiant uses Hyperscene, and many other eggs, to create a library aimed at making games in CHICKEN. Hypergiant itself is mainly a glue library which makes it possible to work with OpenGL at a relatively high level of abstraction. It *tries* to balance ease of use with extensibility, while maintaining an efficient implementation. Beyond working with OpenGL, Hypergiant attempts to provide all of the support needed in order to get things up and running quickly, while allowing enough flexibility to be extensible in any way that you might want.

If this interests you, check out the docs for these eggs here:

http://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/4/hyperscene

http://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/4/hypergiant

I also wrote a tutorial about working with Hypergiant which is probably a good starting point:

http://alex-charlton.com/posts/Prototype_to_polish_Making_games_in_CHICKEN_Scheme_with_Hypergiant/

In sum, I'm fairly certain that Hypergiant is one of the more novel general-purpose game libraries available, and it wouldn’t have been the same without the delightful CHICKEN. So many thanks to everyone who's helped make this possible!

Alex