Re: [Chicken-users] Parsing HTML, best practice with Chicken

From: mfv
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Parsing HTML, best practice with Chicken
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 11:49:32 +0100

Hello and happy new year to all!

Peter,

> Hm, that's unfortunate.  However, I've heard this complaint before.
> Do you have any tips on how we can improve the situation?

First, to lighten up spirits a bit: at least for me it was easier to start
with Chicken than with Clojure.

That being said, I think it is hard to compete against Python in terms of
documentation, number of packages, scope of usage, integrated IDE (IDLE),
community size and number of stackoverflow questions/answers.

What would certainly help would be

-- give more examples on how one would solve problems with Chicken. This
especially applies to the eggs. I think this is a very important point,
since sometimes I do feel very lost when reading through the egg
documentation. I understand that the fact that many eggs have their own
domain specific language does not make this easy, but IMHO it is necessary
to have at least two trivial and a couple of more complicated use cases
for an egg.

-- a guide to its package ecosystem, with some idea which packages would
be recommended, and which may have been forgotten and may not be up to
date.

-- an instruction how to get a running IDE with a REPL. I really struggled
here (Sublime Text 2, EMACS).

-- provide easier access to Chicken and egg sources.

-- some good pointers where to learn the SCHEME language (beginners,
intermediate, experienced level).

-- a restructured website. Although this is certainly a very minor point,
but I think the Chicken site should really help to get going with scheme
straight away, and not require a user to search the internet, this
excellent mailing list or stackoverflow for possible hints.

Sorry that I was not more constructive, but I hope you can see where my
problems lie.

Cheers,

  Piotr