Re: [Chicken-users] readline egg v2.0 feedback

From: Alexej Magura
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] readline egg v2.0 feedback
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 18:01:12 -0700

Just pushed 3.0 out the door.  Please let me know if it isn't regnoized as the latest version and I'll bump it up to 3.1.

And let me know if yall come across any bugs.

It introduces the following toplevel commands:
  • ,rl-!!
    • Similar to Bash's !!, it evaluates the previous line.
  • ,rl-clh
    • Clears the history list for the current session
  • ,rl-savhist
    • Enables/disables saving history for the current session on exit
  • ,rl-rec
    • Enables/disables recording history for the current session
  • ,rl-rd
    • Reads a file's contents into the history list for the current session
  • ,rl-vi
    • sets the current editing mode to Vi emulation
  • ,rl-emacs
    • sets the current editing mode to Emacs emulation (the One True Editing-Mode) :P

The following functions have been added:

  • last-history-line
    • Returns the previous line in history as either a string or as-is
  • eval-last-history-line
    • The function behind ,rl-!!
  • variables
    • dumps GNU Readline's variable state, such as what editing mode it is in and etc.

Most of the functions added by v2.0 have been removed in 3.0; this, unfortunately, includes the history searching functions.  However, the history searching functions will be added back again in the next (proper) release, which should be 3.1.