Re: [Chicken-users] [Chicken-hackers] Any thoughts on performance woes?

From: Christian Kellermann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] [Chicken-hackers] Any thoughts on performance woes?
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 12:29:30 +0200

* Felix Winkelmann <address@hidden> [150407 09:44]:
> This is a terribly written program. It uses 3-element lists as vectors
> (including higher-order "vector" arithmetic using "map") and allocates
> like hell. The compiler can not do much with this code, and it
> produces CPS calls everywhere.

After reading the posts in this thread I wondered how I would have done
it. And to be honest, while my code may not be as bad as this *cough*
one thing that always puzzles me is a way to tell *why* a given program
is slow.

I just had this crazy idea of new tooling that would help the curious
programmer to find the line of code that triggers a lot of allocation,
or find the line of code that causes a lot of GCs.

How about collecting ideas like this and find a way to test these
against real code at the next meetup?

While this might not fend of trolls, this would help the more dedicated
people improve their code for CHICKEN.

Just some thoughts of cause, no real code to show (yet?)...

All the best,

Christian

--
May you be peaceful, may you live in safety, may you be free from
suffering, and may you live with ease.