Re: [Chicken-users] Openssl with csc -deploy

From: Nick Van Horn
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Openssl with csc -deploy
Date: Thu, 07 May 2015 23:40:40 -0400

Thanks for the reply Peter.

> This won't help because Spiffy has a run-time dependency on openssl,
> which it tries to load via something like this:

> (define ssl-port?
>   (handle-exceptions _ #f (eval `(let () (use ssl) ssl-port?))))
>
> The idea is that on Windows openssl is too painful to install, so making
> it a hard dependency is considered obnoxious.

Perhaps I should have listed the extensions that I'm using, as I'm not
in fact using Spiffy. I'm using rest-bind, http-client, oauth, and their
dependencies for retrieving web data over a secure connection.

But maybe the bigger problem is related, and/or I'm not understanding
you properly, so...

> Can you try what it prints when you run the eval above from your deployed
> application and then display the value of "ssl-port?"?  It may be that
> deployment mode has trouble loading libraries in "eval", or perhaps the
> dynamic dependency in Spiffy is broken somehow.

Trying to run the eval you supplied in my deployed application (csc
-deploy foo.scm) leads to the error:

Error: during expansion of (import ...) - module not found: openssl

What is curious is that my attempts to load the openssl module with
`use`, `require-extension`, and the like prior to this test does *not*
lead to this error when I run my unmodified application.

In fact, the "missing" openssl module is only noticed downstream, when
my original error is thrown by http-client.

Thoughts?

Best,
Nick