Re: [Chicken-users] performance of bignums

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] performance of bignums
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 21:50:18 +0200

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 11:39:50AM -0700, Martin DeMello wrote:
> Post to /r/scheme about chicken's bignum performance. (Not my post,
> just figured it could use some eyeballs.)
>
> http://www.reddit.com/r/scheme/comments/3b1ujw/performance_of_chicken_scheme_numbers_bignums/

Hello Martin,

Thanks for posting this.  We had already been discussing it earlier
today in #chicken.  I had another look at the code but I can't really
find any obvious inefficiencies.  It is indeed a bit faster with
CHICKEN 5, but not by much.

Of course, Guile is "cheating" by using GMP.  If I compare it to another
Scheme which has its own bignum implementation like Gauche, we perform
about the same.  It's interesting that sbcl is doing so well.  Maybe I'm
overlooking something seemingly minor but important?

Cheers,
Peter