Re: [Chicken-users] New egg: clucker (Twitter API)

From: Richo Healey
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] New egg: clucker (Twitter API)
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 15:26:30 -0700

On 30/06/15 15:43 -0400, Nick Van Horn wrote:
Hello fellow chickeneers,

I'm happy to announce the first release of the "clucker" egg, which
provides access methods to Twitter's public api endpoints.

Currently, the egg:

* Provides access to all (two) public streaming api endpoints
 (https://dev.twitter.com/streaming/public).

* Provides access to all GET methods on the REST api
 (https://dev.twitter.com/rest/public).

* Includes oauth procedures for handling credentials (via the oauth egg).

* Provides customizable parameters for each api call that control how
 returned data is processed. Default behavior is simply `read-line`,
 which means you get strings of json in return. This can be easily
 set to something more useful such as `read-json` from the medea egg.

I've been successfully using the egg in an application I've been
developing. I've written some procedures for this other application
that handle things such as rate limits (api requests are limited by
number of calls, and reset after set amounts of time), pagination of
results, etc. If others are interested, I'd be happy to share what
I've done, or simply include these procedures in the clucker egg.

A big TODO is to add the remaining REST api POST methods, which have
been ignored to date due to me not needing them in my other project :P

If one of the maintainers (Mario?) could add this to the egg
repository I would appreciate it. The egg passes salmonella and should
be ready to go. You can find the repo at
https://github.com/n3mo/clucker

Cheers!
Nick

Hey Nick,

This looks great!

Do you have any example code that consumes it? I've been wanting to write a
new CLI twitter client for a while now, some sample code to get a feel for
what actually consuming the API looks like would be really handy.

Cheers

richo