Re: [Chicken-users] Homepage design proposal

From: Arthur Maciel
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Homepage design proposal
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 12:10:47 -0300

Hi again!

The prototype now runs on http://arthur.flnet.org:5280/

To test menu links, always go back to home page. The "resonsive" design can be tested shrinking windows widths.

Best wishes,
Arthur

Hi all!

Since Tim's first proposal I've been thinking a lot about CHICKEN's website. Here are my two cents.

Homepage
- https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/621606/chicken-web-page/Homepage.png
- https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/621606/chicken-web-page/Homepage-Mobile.png

Eggs
- https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/621606/chicken-web-page/Eggs.png
- https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/621606/chicken-web-page/Eggs-Mobile.png

Getting Started
- https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/621606/chicken-web-page/Getting%20Started.png

Wiki
- https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/621606/chicken-web-page/Wiki.png

Manual
- https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/621606/chicken-web-page/Manual.png

Download
- https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/621606/chicken-web-page/Download.png

Tests
- https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/621606/chicken-web-page/Tests.png

I've chosen a minimalist approach and the focus was on readability - although the white background doesn't help much, I couldn't find a better solution. The content for the homepage is drawn from users comments on this thread (they are merely illustrative, although make sense to me).

Most modifications were done to chicken.css file, so changes are immediately applicable to probably 90% of CHICKEN site (exceptions are api.call-cc.org and bugs.call-cc.org). To make the page "responsive" to narrow screens (i.e. mobiles) we would need to add one line of HTML into pages. This line is already inserted in the .html files on the https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/621606/chicken-web-page/chicken-web-page.tar.gz bundle. It contains many .html files and I recommend opening "CHICKEN Scheme.html" first. The menu on this page has some directly browsable links ("Get started!" link at the bottom can also be clicked).

Do you find it useful?

Best wishes,
Arthur

PS: Tim, sorry for not continuing on your proposal. As I'm a newbie on web design, I preferred to stick with current code and modify it step by step, so I could understand what I was doing. Thanks for inspiration, especially on the grid section! And sorry for proposing something much simpler than your original design.