Re: [Chicken-users] Hypergiant egg install fails, and some other eggs

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Hypergiant egg install fails, and some other eggs
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 20:57:41 +0200

On Sat, Oct 03, 2015 at 02:29:35AM +0800, Robert Herman wrote:
> Maybe Termbox is too reliant on a linux terminal as the target, but how
> come Blas fails, when I have the Blas libraries installed, and working in
> other language implementations?

Hard to say without more info.  The Blas egg is a bit of a pain to get
working, even on *nix.  It has its own attempt at "auto-detection" of how
it should invoke the compiler & linker, which is quite error-prone and
probably very Linux-oriented anyway.  The reason behind this seems to be
that Blas itself is a bit of an old-fashioned library, and doesn't have
a way to discover how to link against it (no pkg-config, for example).

> The Blas CHICKEN egg fails with the same 'setup-api' error
> at the end. Is the 'setup-api' the beginning of the trace for all failed
> setups?

Yes, it is.  The way chicken-install works is it loads a .setup-file, and
prepends it with (require-extension setup-api).  Again, if you want to know
why it failed, look for the very first mention of an error in the output.
I fully agree this is not ideal, and the error output could use some work
to get better information.

> I will try and see why other eggs fail and look into tracing them,
> and share what I find. I really want to be able to make CHICKEN my platform
> on Windows.

Don't give up!  It's just that you're charting new territory; not many
people are currently using CHICKEN on Windows.  Most egg authors will be
happy to patch their eggs to make things work, if you can inform them
what is needed to make things build on Windows.

> Thanks for the help.

No problem!

Cheers,
Peter