Re: [Chicken-users] Windows deployment - Numbers egg

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Windows deployment - Numbers egg
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 01:43:32 -0400

Peter Bex scripsit:

> On Sun, Oct 04, 2015 at 10:23:26PM +0800, Robert Herman wrote:
> > Yes, I read the manual. All of the examples seem to be a linux host with
> > .so files. Windows uses .dll files.
>
> Hi again Robert,
>
> This is of course true, but the .so files that CHICKEN generates on mingw
> are just misnamed .dll-files.  Try running "file" on it to inspect the
> type; it'll let you know that they're DLL files.  I suppose because
> CHICKEN loads those dynamically, the extension is irrelevant.

Right.  When Chicken loads something dynamically on Windows, it uses the
equivalent of Linux dlopen(): it understands LDLIBRARYPATH and its defaults,
and it doesn't really care what the extension is.

But when an executable file has libraries linked into it, there is no
LDLIBRARYPATH (it uses PATH instead), and it insists on the extension "DLL".
That's because the brain-dead Windows loader has to be used, as your
application does not yet have control.
--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        address@hidden
In politics, obedience and support are the same thing.  --Hannah Arendt