Re: [Chicken-users] ANN: new eggs "llrb-syntax" and "llrb-tree"

From: Jörg F. Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] ANN: new eggs "llrb-syntax" and "llrb-tree"
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 12:43:41 +0100

Hi Marc,

Am 25.10.2015 um 19:42 schrieb Marc Feeley:
> Interesting… it looks a lot like the define-rbtree macro used in the Gambit
> runtime system to implement priority queues for the scalable thread scheduler.
>
> Is there any historical link between your implementation and the Gambit one?
>
> Marc

Yes, there is.  Documented in the archives of this mailing list from
2008.  Search for "Feeley priority queue".

I studied the rb-tree code as well as weight balanced trees and skip
lists.  And tried them in the scheduler.

Eventually I settled with llrb.  The latter especially because the
implementation as a syntax would allow me to produce lowlevel chicken
code and have threads with slots for two independent queues timeout and
blocking reason (directly in the thread object, not as two separate
references to some intermediate queue entry node).  And there was this
license issue blocking inclusion into chicken.

The archives even reflect my now proven false assumption that the
allocation free version would be faster.  More work to do...  ;-)

But more important than the use as a priority queue I found the use case
as alists replacement.  Especially when the miss is not an error but
handled.  I recall having seen this suspiciously often.

Best

/Jörg