Re: [Chicken-users] example from rpc egg crashes at around 2k calls for

From: Jim Ursetto
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] example from rpc egg crashes at around 2k calls for me ....
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 17:07:38 -0600

It would coincide with a typical fd ulimit of 2048.  If the issue is actually too many tcp connections, I can't see why, as both the client and server should close the connection after completion. And, you are running these client connections serially. Maybe try dummying out the database calls. I think Peter is right that it's trying to serialize a database exception and failing. One option would be to handle the db open or query exception yourself in your server and print out the exception (before reraising it).
Jim

On Dec 8, 2015, at 17:42, Matt Welland <address@hidden> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 12:44 AM, Peter Bex <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 10:38:33PM -0700, Matt Welland wrote:
> I don't understand why this is crashing. I'm guessing I'm failing to close
> a connection or finalize something. I also saw the same problem when I used
> sqlite3 instead of sql-de-lite. Any help or suggestions of where to look
> would be appreciated.

From the call chain, it looks like something broke during query execution
and it's trying to serialize the exception object, which probably contains
a reference to the database connection (which is a pointer).

Try catching all exceptions and raising a placeholder exception with a
simple (error "foo")

Thanks Peter. I'm not sure where to add this but I'll experiment with it tonight.

I did test on a different system today and it kept going past 6k calls. However running "netstat|wc -l" showed a rapidly increasing number of TCP connections. It seems likely I'm not closing the connection but I don't see where to add the close.

Cheers,
Peter