Re: [Chicken-users] New egg release - Ethernet

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] New egg release - Ethernet
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 21:37:23 +0000

Hello Omar,

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 10:59:27 -0800 Omar Shorbaji <address@hidden> wrote:

> I would like to introduce a new egg - Ethernet - which simply
> parses/unparses Ethernet frames
>
> Release info file is available at:
>
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/shorbaji/chicken-ethernet/master/release-info

Thanks for your contribution.

It's not clear to me how you want your egg to be called.  From the
source code I have the impression it should be called "ethernet".
However, release-info references "chicken-ethernet" (thus to install it
with chicken-install you'd have to use "chicken-ethernet" as argument).
What egg name you want to use?

Still related to release-info, conventionally we use
<egg name>.release-info as filename.

I notice the source repository has a .so file.  That has probably been
added by mistake.  Anyway, I'd ask you to remove it before we add your
egg to the official index.

Some minor nit-picking:

- .meta's test-depends contains `ports', which is a core unit (not an
  egg), so it should not be there.

- it seems that you are using srfi-13 just for string-join.  The
  data-structures core unit provides string-intersperse, which can be
  used as a drop-in replacement in that case.  As a beneficial
  side-effect, it will probably be faster than string-join.

- As far as I can see, you could just use `let' instead of `let*' in
  read-ethernet-frame.

- I don't understand why you use `and' in tests/run.scm.

Regards,
Mario
--
http://parenteses.org/mario