Re: [Chicken-users] [ANN] New egg: color - a port of Aubrey Jaffer's SLI

From: Alex Charlton
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] [ANN] New egg: color - a port of Aubrey Jaffer's SLIB color module
Date: Sun, 01 May 2016 02:13:00 +0000

Those extra functions are definitely useful. I'd use ezcolor!

On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 1:10 AM Erik Falor <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 05:32:48PM +0000, Alex Charlton wrote:
>    This is awesome! I was just about to play with some colour related
>    stuff and I was feeling sad that I didn't have easy access to different
>    colour spaces. I'm going to use this right now!
>    Thanks, Erik!

That's what I call good timing!

Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, this library might be
just a bit too low-level. Aubrey's color library showed me that there
was a lot more to color than I had realized! I found that this library
came with quite a learning curve. As a result I now better understand
how our eyes and brains give us vision, but feel that a less academic
API would be more readily useful to more users.

For instance, I was interested in converting colors specified as RGB
triplets into HSV where it's really easy to adjust the hue while
preserving the brightness. I found that I could do that with the L*C*h
color space. L*C*h is similar to HSV in concept, but differs in that
it's based upon human perception instead of the capabilities of
display hardware. Therefore it will give somewhat different results
than one may expect.

If that sounds like the sort of thing you want to do, you may want to
take a look at the color-example.scm program included with the egg. It
contains a bunch of functions to more easily do those sorts of color
manipulations: e.g. computing color harmonies, scaling the chroma or
lightness of colors, etc.

As I believe those things are what most users would like to be able to
do, I may release an ezcolor egg that wraps the color egg and exposes
those functions.

What do you folks think?

--
Erik Falor