Re: [Chicken-users] [ANN] CHICKEN 4.11.0 has been released

From: Josh Barrett
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] [ANN] CHICKEN 4.11.0 has been released
Date: Sun, 29 May 2016 01:37:59 +0000

>On the tooling front we've also added two new features: a statistical
>profiler for analysing performance, and a graphical debugger called
>"feathers", which allows you to inspect your Scheme programs over the
>network.  These have both been documented in the manual.  The debugger
>has its own chapter at https://wiki.call-cc.org/man/4/Debugging and the
>profiler's new -:p runtime option is >documented at
>https://wiki.call-cc.org/man/4/Using%20the%20compiler#runtime-options

Can I hug you? Like, now?

On Sat, May 28, 2016, 09:46 Peter Bex <address@hidden> wrote:
Dear CHICKEN users,

We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of CHICKEN 4.11.0
at the following URL:
https://code.call-cc.org/releases/4.11.0/chicken-4.11.0.tar.gz

This tarball has the following SHA256 checksum:
e3dc2b8f95b6a3cd59c85b5bb6bdb2bd9cefc45b5d536a20cad74e3c63f4ad89

This release introduces several large changes, the one with the most
impact being a completely new calling convention for compiled CPS
procedures in C code.  Instead of expecting "regular" C arguments,
the compiled C functions now accept a so-called "argvector" which
holds the arguments.  This should greatly improve the portability of
CHICKEN programs, because it relies less on ill-specified parts of C.
It also removes the assembly code required for manyargs, so that the
limitation of 128 arguments for platforms without an "apply hack" has
finally been removed.

On the tooling front we've also added two new features: a statistical
profiler for analysing performance, and a graphical debugger called
"feathers", which allows you to inspect your Scheme programs over the
network.  These have both been documented in the manual.  The debugger
has its own chapter at https://wiki.call-cc.org/man/4/Debugging and the
profiler's new -:p runtime option is documented at
https://wiki.call-cc.org/man/4/Using%20the%20compiler#runtime-options

As usual, many bugs have been fixed with this release, including several
bugs that would cause programs to crash.  All in all, this new release
should be much more robust and reliable.

For the complete list of changes since 4.10.0, see the NEWS file:
https://code.call-cc.org/releases/4.11.0/NEWS

After this release, the core team has decided to focus its efforts on
CHICKEN 5.  The 4.x series is still officially supported and will
continue to receive bugfixes for critical bugs.  If enough bugs have
been fixed, there may be a 4.12 release, but new feature development
is going to be exclusive to the 5 branch.

Regards,
The CHICKEN Team