Re: [Chicken-users] Asynchronous I/O Egg Release

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Asynchronous I/O Egg Release
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 08:42:06 +0200

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 07:26:48PM -0600, Robert Smiley wrote:
> Hopefully this library will make it easier to read from and write to any
> file descriptor without leaving applications hanging, since all srfi-18
> threads block when i/o is performed on ports other than tcp sockets.

Hello Robert,

Can you elaborate on that?  CHICKEN marks all file descriptors it opens
as nonblocking, and most eggs attempt to do so too, if possible.  The
core system comes with a thread scheduler which automatically puts
threads to sleep when they're reading from or writing to an fd that
isn't ready.  So, the system is supposed to do automatically what you're
exposing here manually.  If it doesn't, that would be considered a bug.

Cheers,
Peter