Re: [Chicken-users] Threads, and async

From: Christian Kellermann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Threads, and async
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 08:38:08 +0200

* Josh Barrett <address@hidden> [160721 02:57]:
> Firstly, are chicken's SRFI-18 "green threads" pre-emptive, or do you have
> to explicitly yield in order for the next scheduled thread to run?

Yes they are preemptive.

> Secondly, does Chicken have any libraries for libev/uv event-based
> programming?

I am not aware of any.

> Thirdly, are there chicken bindings for select/poll?

There's the epoll egg, support for select/poll is part of the posix
unit. CHICKEN's scheduler itself is a poll loop basically.

http://api.call-cc.org/doc/posix#sec:file-select
http://api.call-cc.org/doc/epoll

> No, I don't intend to use these all at once, but they seemed related, so I
> figured I would write one big email instead of three small ones.

No worries!

HTH,

Christian

--
May you be peaceful, may you live in safety, may you be free from
suffering, and may you live with ease.