Re: [Chicken-users] New 4.11 install. "make" FAILS.

From: Terry Phelps
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] New 4.11 install. "make" FAILS.
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 08:48:14 -0400

OH!

I'm guilty of not telling the whole story when I reported this problem. I hate people who do that.

There IS a .git directory. I didn't mention it because "it couldn't possibly affect anything". Just after untarring, I did a "git init", because I wanted to capture all changes that I make to the source code, starting with editing config.make. I never dreamed that the actions of the make file would depend on whether or not a .git directory existed.

My apologies, and thanks for looking at this.

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 2:49 AM, Peter Bex <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 12:49:48AM -0400, Terry Phelps wrote:
> Well, here's some more details, but the timestamps look okay to me.

OK, so that's ruled out.

> [...]
> Near the end of the above, it says:
>        Prerequisite `buildid' is newer than target `build-version.c'.
>        Prerequisite `buildtag.h' is newer than target `build-version.c'.
>
> And those two files are indeed newer than the target, so the problem isn't
> that build-version.scm is newer, I think. It is that buildid and buildtag.h
> are prereqs, and ARE newer:
> $ ls -l buildid buildtag.h
> -rw-r--r--. 1 tgphelps tgphelps  8 Oct 17 14:36 buildid
> -rw-r--r--. 1 tgphelps tgphelps 76 Oct 18 00:15 buildtag.h
>
> I don't know enough about the mechanics of building chicken to debug this
> any further, so I'll stop here.

It looks like identify-me.sh is creating these files.  It should avoid
doing that if there's no .git dir and there is a manual-html dir.
Can you check that the manual-html exists and there's no .git dir in the
build root?

Cheers,
Peter