Re: [Chicken-users] Emacs - chicken-doc and apropos

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Emacs - chicken-doc and apropos
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 12:03:51 +0100

Hi Tim,

On Sat, 21 Jan 2017 15:22:03 -0900 Tim Johnson <address@hidden> wrote:

> * Tim Johnson <address@hidden> [170121 14:13]:
>> This is just a FYI for the benefit of some fellow noob who might
>> have questions about invoking the chicken REPL in emacs on ubuntu
>> linux.
>>
>> This presumes that geiser-mode is enabled for emacs
>>
>> When choosing chicken from the geiser->run menu I got the following
>> error message
>> """
>> No chicken-doc repository found at: "/usr/share/chicken/chicken-doc"
>> """
>>
>> To correct, I invoked the following :
>> sudo chicken-install chicken-doc
>>
>> The previously quoted error message was repeated.
>>
>> Assuming that the chicken-doc repository was a separate installation
>> from chicken-doc, a little research led me to invoke the following:
>> """
>> curl http://3e8.org/pub/chicken-doc/chicken-doc-repo.tgz
>> """
>
>   P.S. -
>   I should have included that the resulting untarred repository
>   folder is /chicken-doc and needs to be either copied to
>   /usr/share/chicked/ _or_ the environment configured as in
>
>   export CHICKEN_DOC_REPOSITORY=/path/to/repository

Thanks for sharing your tips.  To update the chicken-doc database, I
use:

  cd `csi -p '(chicken-home)'` && \
  curl http://3e8.org/pub/chicken-doc/chicken-doc-repo.tgz | \
  tar zx

Note that you must have the chicken-doc repository initialized by
"chicken-doc-admin -i" (you only have to run that command once).

>> Once that was done, the REPL still failed to load with an error
>> message referring to the absence of the apropos module.
>>
>> This was solved by the following :
>> """
>> sudo chicken-install apropos
>> """
>>
>> So, now I have the chicken REPL running asynchronously in emacs.

All the best.
Mario
--
http://parenteses.org/mario