Re: [Chicken-users] numbers egg depends on libstdc++ and some questions

From: Thomas Chust
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] numbers egg depends on libstdc++ and some questions
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2017 14:59:30 +0100

On 2017-02-25 10:12, Vasilij Schneidermann wrote:
> [...]
>> 1) Why does the numbers egg use libstdc++ ?  Just curious.
>
> This is most likely due to Windows not really giving you a C compiler or
> runtime.  MSVCRT is actually a C++ runtime with loads of extern "C".
> cl.exe is actually a C++ compiler covering a subset of C.
> [...]

Hello,

while this picture of the Microsoft Visual C toolchain's properties may
be accurate, it is most likely irrelevant to the problem described by
the OP.

The original message explicitly mentioned that MinGW was being used and
that a GCC runtime library was needed, so the compiler in question would
have to be the GCC version shipping with MinGW rather than MSVC. This
GCC compiler uses GNU C and C++ libraries. There should not be any
implicit compile-time or run-time dependencies on any component of the
MSVC toolchain or libraries in this scenario. (In fact, it can even be
difficult to introduce explicit dependencies from code compiled by MinGW
GCC on libraries compiled by MSVC or vice versa).

The GNU C library shipping with MinGW depends only on the Windows kernel
interface DLLs and certainly not on the GNU C++ library shipping with MinGW.

I can only speculate as to why the numbers code has a dependency on the
C++ standard library under MinGW. Perhaps some math routines are hiding
in that library -- if I remember correctly there is no libm*.dll in MinGW.

Ciao,
Thomas

--
Es würde viel weniger Böses auf Erden geben, wenn das Böse niemals im
Namen des Guten getan werden könnte.