Re: [Chicken-users] Microcontroller schemes

From: Christian Kellermann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Microcontroller schemes
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 21:13:31 +0100

* Norman Gray <address@hidden> [171109 21:08]:

> Greetings.
>
> This is a slightly tangential request.
>
> I have a microcontroller project upcoming which would potentially benefit
> from a bit of DSL magic which, of course, I'd like to do in a scheme.
>
> Chicken, because it compiles to C, would probably be my best bet in terms of
> 'big' schemes, but I imagine that getting it to work on a microcontroller
> would be infeasible (that's right, isn't it?).
>
> Given this community's probable range of interests, however, can anyone
> point me in a useful direction?  I'd be most interested in systems which
> could run on one of the bigger Arduinos, but I think I could shift
> microcontrollers if the language were right.
>
> I've so far found a few interesting resources, but some of them tend to have
> a summer-project look.
>
>   * There's a nice list of small lisps/schemes at [1], which has a couple of
> promising pointers, but it's a rather old page.
>   * It mentions TinyScheme[2], which looks quite close, but seems not to
> have had much activity recently.
>   * Armpit Scheme[3] seems to be targeting just the thing, but also has a
> left-behind look.
>   * There's a rather interesting list of MCU languages at [4], but, again,
> this is quite an old page, and some of those descriptions look very much
> like summer projects.
>
> So, has anyone on this list explored into that area of the computing forest?

There's also http://www.suchocki.co.uk/microscheme/

But most of these have severe constraints in the language making
them more like a C in parenthesis. Maybe you are better off using
Forth on a microcontroller for a similar explorative REPL approach.

Kind regards,

Christian

--
May you be peaceful, may you live in safety, may you be free from
suffering, and may you live with ease.