[Chicken-users] New Egg: Generalized Arrays and Storage Classes

From: Jeremy Steward
Subject: [Chicken-users] New Egg: Generalized Arrays and Storage Classes
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2017 16:38:13 -0700

Hello everyone!

I hope the weekend is going well! I'm sending a message to announce that a new egg is available: Generalized Arrays and Storage Classes. This egg provides a data type for generalized multidimensional array types, which are backed by a set of storage classes that define how objects are stored (and what types they may be). You can think of this as providing a set of procedures and data types that mirror APL, and to a lesser extent Numpy.

Go ahead and give it a whirl, the docs are up at http://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/4/generalized-arrays. Currently the egg is in somewhat of a beta state, and I currently have not written any tests for it. I plan to continue to write tests over the next while and hopefully gain some robustness as a result. I have continued to test while developing and think I've ironed out a good number of bugs, but any test contributions would be welcome.

The easiest way to get started is:

    $ chicken-install -s generalized-arrays

Please do let me know either through this mailing list or on IRC (DeeEff in #chicken on Freenode) if you notice anything missing or if something is wrong.

My ultimate plan with this is to eventually integrate the arrays API with another high level interface that is powered by BLAS / LAPACK, opening CHICKEN up to a world of numerical libraries and / or scientific computing that hasn't been as possible up until now. If you'd be interested in helping me do this, I'd be happy to talk to you.

Best regards, and Happy Scheming,
--
Jeremy Steward