circle-discuss

Re: [circle] about separation between gui and core

From: Thomas Mangin
Subject: Re: [circle] about separation between gui and core
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:47:36 +0000

On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 13:15, thomasV wrote:

> your code does a great job, but there are
> still a few files that it cannot correctly classify.
> so, improvements are always welcome. :-)

If you provide me example of misclassified file, I will try to find some
time to look at what need doing to fix the problem.

> the reason why I would like to use a socket is that it would allow
> non-python applications to be written and interact with the core.
> I know that python is great, but after all it is primarily a script
> language, with not so good performance (compared to caml for example).

Using socket is not a bad idea in itself, it is just that you should not
have it as a goal, but as the consequence of the application design.

If you have a clear set of python API for your application (class
interface), just creating one class to export those interface to other
application with socket should just be trivial.

That is why I like rodrigo idea, as once you have a clean core, adding a
new interface should just be easy, whatever way you want (socket, tcp,
http, GUI, ...)

[snip things I agree with]

> > As you may know I looked at http://www.twisted-matrix.org/ when I
> > [...]
> all right, see above

Your comment seem to indicate that you do believe that a pure python
core using twisted could cause problem with the socket idea. It should
instead help it.

I will say it again, have a real good look at twisted, understand it
fully and you will probably learn as much as a 4 years degree in
software engineering.

> what do you mean by "gui independent"?
> for me they are gui dependent, in the sense that it does not
> make sense to have them running if the gui is not running.

For me GUI mean, Graphical User Interface, the part which interract with
the user. In a MVC (Model - View - Controller), it is the View.

(it have been sometime I did not look at MVC, so excuse me if I messed
it up the part).

> or maybe you mean "skin" by gui?

If you think in term of Gnome for example, glade provide the skin/GUI,
the callbacks provide the Controller and the Model is the Database
backend. The callback should be interface to the core which link all the
components together.

> I think the gui should include things like chat, gossip, etc.
> That way, you could design a gui that does not do gossip,
> if you are not interested into it (see my previous mail)

Only running what is needed make sense.

[snip things I agree with]

Thomas