circle-discuss

Re: [circle] documentation for running behind NAT?

From: darkblood
Subject: Re: [circle] documentation for running behind NAT?
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:07:13 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004, Matthew Wilson wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 12:18:00PM -0800, address@hidden wrote:
>
> > Proxy mode runs a bit of python code on the router that passes messages
> > back and forth between your internal lan and the internet.  You need a
> > Unix machine for a router, with ssh access for this to work.
>
> I'm using a netgear wireless router, so that's why I was keeping my
> fingers crossed that plain old port-forwarding would do it.  Thanks for
> the information.  Maybe this will be a good excuse to buy an old 586 and
> set it up as my router.

I sometimes use a Linksys 54G wireless... I find it handy, because I
compiled ssh for it... In theory, it should be able to do python, but I
never tried...  If you have any machine running linux inside your lan, you
can set that machine as the dmz, and then use it to proxy.  Or anymachine
that you have ssh access to outside the lan.  I could set up an account on
my webserver for you to use temporarily if you like... It'd be slow
(unless you live in Western Canada) but it should work.

> Anyway, I'm interested in the circle because I need a topic for my
> computer science master's thesis, and this idea seems really good.  I
> suppose I can do everything I need in a lab setup.
>
> Is it possible to run multiple instances of the circle on the same
> machine?

I used to do exactly that, for testing... Create a couple of extra
accounts on the machine and run circle as each user.

-- Pierre