cjk-list

[cjk] The fixed-up script and the fixed Noto type 1 fonts.

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: [cjk] The fixed-up script and the fixed Noto type 1 fonts.
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2017 23:18:42 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

The fixed up Noto type 1 fonts are at (it is just under 40MB):
http://htl10.users.sf.net/fixed-nose.tar.bz2

If you are lazy enough, probably just copy and overwriting your nose*.pfb would
do. The tfm's
probably do not matter as it is all fixed sizes.
Less lazy, and/or if you want to start from scratch,

- set $TEXMFHOME to "texmf" directory, or move it to where it should be
  (on fedora it is just "${HOME}/texmf" - for testing, I just set the variable
elsewhere).
- append "dvips-psfonts.map.add" to your dvips/psfonts.map
  (or do the equivalent of running updmap...)
- move "c70nose.fd" to where your input.tex is.

These 3 steps should be sufficient.

The freetype-py script which write a new subfonts.pe, is uploaded here, in case
you want to have
a go, or try different fonts:
https://github.com/HinTak/freetype-py/blob/fontval-diag/examples/subfonts-script-generate.py

You use it to write a new subfonts.pe - e.g. "python
subfonts-script-generate.py nose.otf > subfonts.pe" .
For most other fonts, the outcome should be identical to what's in CJK except
for some extra/fewer blank lines.
Werner, I'd be interested to see if the arphic fonts need fixing...

There are some basic error checking to make sure that it is copying from a
filled glyph slot to an empty one.
("source empty" or "destination already filled" are both messaged out).

I don't know if this is worth putting into CJK - I don't mind, but it is a bit
ugly
- fontforge itself should not require a 400-line workaround!
So I am going to write to Dave Crossland (Thorsten: the current owner of the
fontforge "brand")
to see if he or Google would commission me to fix the encoding issues with
fontforge itself properly...

Hin-Tak

P.S. NotoCJK Serif and Source CJK Serif are not quite the same. The former
requires 360 fixed-ups,
the latter 400+ . The latter also have a higher code point count.

P.P.S. I used Noto-Medium (and Bold) as Thorsten's, though I would suggest
Regular + Bold instead.
Regular is slightly thinner than Medium.