Re: [cks-devl] RE: [OT] New keyserver

From: V. Alex Brennen
Subject: Re: [cks-devl] RE: [OT] New keyserver
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 17:57:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Richie Laager wrote:

> > Well, CKS has most of the features I think you're looking for
> > already  implemented.  It uses postgres, and has the beginnings of
> > database  abstraction so that it can go against Berkeley db, or
> > even oracle.
>
> Have you considered using unixODBC? It seems to me that ODBC would
> make it very portable across databases. Of course, this would require
> the use of SQL, right? Is that an issue?

It's currently using SQL.  We could look at ODBC.

> I feel that there are good reasons to duplicate code and bad reasons
> to duplicate code, and that code duplication shouldn't be a major
> factor in using/developing PKS vs. CKS. In fact, I don't see a reason
> that we should develop one or the other. Why not keep both under
> development. Choice is good.

Agreed.

> > If there is something you don't like about CKS that is preventing
> > you from working on it, please let me know and I will most likely
> > be willing to change it.  I haven't rejected any patches submitted
> > by other yet.  If other people are willing to get very involved,
> > I'll set up CVS on my server for the project.
>
> Nothing is preventing me from working on CKS. In fact, I might.
> However, I had some trouble checking the code out of CVS on Savannah.
> When I used "subversions.gnu.org" as the host instead of
> "savannah.nongnu.org", it worked. Any ideas on what went wrong?

Savannah is broken.  When I was able to use it I got locked
out a few times a week because of ssh key corruption(?) on their
end.  I'm applying for space on sourceforge now.  I'll move the
cks project over there, so that it's easier for others to
participate.

        - VAB