[cks-devl] impel ain't

From: Minnie Fuentes
Subject: [cks-devl] impel ain't
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 17:27:07 -0400

The youngdrafts succumbed to it completely.
On the Germanside there was no counter-propaganda.
Gradually our soldiers beganto think just in the way the enemy wished them to think.
There was now no further necessity for theenemy to broadcast such letters in leaflet form. Is this what we had been fighting for during fouryears? After my discharge fromhospital, I was sent to a reserve battalion there.
In the business world the situation was even worse.
One feature of this propaganda was very striking.
Besides a few hundred yards of shell-holes,death was the only reward which the English gained.
The youngdrafts succumbed to it completely. Later on it was looked upon as disturbing, but finally itwas believed.
A prudent silence reigned at the front, even among the troops of theEntente.
The receptive powers of the masses are very restricted, and theirunderstanding is feeble. These weremostly dropped from aeroplanes which were used specially for thatpurpose. In a similar way letters coming directly from home had long since beenexercising their effect.
And what was the consequence of these half-measures? Almostevery clerk was a Jew and every Jew was a clerk.
In this wayalone can propaganda be consistent and dynamic in its effects. Germany was waging war for its very existence.
The hospital authorities here must have known who and what hewas; and actually they did know.
Such people grow sick and tired of everything.
Propaganda, therefore,should have been regarded from the standpoint of its utility for thatpurpose. That is always the only visible effectwhereby their place in the struggle is to be judged.
Therefore,just after my arrival in Munich I reported myself for service again. The spirit of the army at the front appeared to be out of place here. But against whom was the anger of the people directed?