[cks-devl] gruel

From: Albert Stein
Subject: [cks-devl] gruel
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 17:42:43 -0400

It was deuced simple, and practically proof against failure. But I cant very well convicta man on the grounds that his defense is too perfect. We passed into the dead girls living room.
Then, with anappreciative glance at Vance, he turned back to Markham. What really infuriates me is that Ive been outwitted. When we had entered the taxicab, he directed the chauffeur to theclub.
ButSpotswoode certainly took every precaution that was humanlypossible.
But the synchronization of his questions and the answers on therecord.
If he did this thing, Id like to know it. Immediately he wheeled about and glared at Vance,who now appeared in the doorway. Markham had now left the window and stood watching him with good-natured tolerance. The deceaseds aunt from Seattle should get a very fair price forit.
The contradictry indications arefar too perfect.
Such a damning piece ofevidence as that record must have kept him awake at night. He had first called my home on Long Island and learned that Iwas staying here.
Scarlett frowned and took several deep inhalations on his cigarette. When he saw I was convinced, he demanded soenormous a sum that I was staggered. HadI been gifted with words, I might have made a similar confession.
And, ifyoull note, the enclosed horn is directed toward the door, notthree feet away. I sat in the wicker chair bythe door waiting for the music. Being something of a mechanic, he arranged a mechanical alibi. His voice was calm and without the faintest quaver.
He was probably looking down at the girl when thephonograph emitted its blood-chilling wails. Nothing apparentlyhad been touched; not even the overturned chairs had been righted. I could murdersuch creatures every day and regard myself as a benefactor ofsociety.
We passed into the dead girls living room.
Youve helped me out of a nasty hole, old man.