cl-bibtex-users

Re: [Cl-bibtex-users] [asdf-devel] source file encoding

From: Faré
Subject: Re: [Cl-bibtex-users] [asdf-devel] source file encoding
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2012 00:02:16 -0400

Dear fellow Lispers,

I'm writing to you because ASDF 2.21 is going to enforce UTF-8 encoding
for all Lisp source files by default on platforms that support it,
and one or more of the files in one of the packages I believe you maintain
contains comments in latin1 or some other 8-bit encoding,
at least in the version available in Quicklisp:

linedit antik plain-odbc lispbuilder mtlisp cl-pdf bibtex metatilities regex

You can identify these files with
      grep --color='auto' -P -n "[\x80-\xFF]" $FILES
where FILES is your list of .lisp and .asd files, e.g.
      $(find . -name '*.lisp' -o -name '*.asd' -print)

A list of files is also available at:
https://github.com/orivej/asdf-encodings/wiki/Tracking-non-UTF-8-lisp-files-in-Quicklisp

You may typically fix an offending file with such a command as:
      recode l1..u8 $offending_file
or using iconv (warning: may or may not be guaranteed not to clobber contents):
      iconv -f latin1 -t utf8 -o $offending_file $offending_file

Can you fix your Common Lisp code to use UTF-8 everywhere?

NB: If for some reason you really need a different encoding than UTF-8,
then you will be able to explicitly specify one with the new ASDF 2.21;
contact me if that's the case, because I will need beta-testers.
Also, when you're using a legacy implementation (rmcl, genera, corman, gcl),
ASDF falls back to the :default 8-bit encoding, so things will "work"
just as well (or badly) as they ever did.

We [the French] will accept any master who will let us enjoy the good life,
with good food, sweet romance and long vacations; and we'll use that good life
to corrupt whoever will rule us into embracing our way of life. Yet we'll
abandon him for a stronger master the moment that his weakness is apparent.