Re: java.util.zip

From: Aaron M. Renn
Subject: Re: java.util.zip
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 15:29:09 -0600

John Leuner (address@hidden) wrote:
> I've started a port of the zlib code to java.
>
> This is a non-trivial exercise and I don't want to promise that I'll
> finish it.
>
> So far I've written a lot of the inflation and huffman tree building code,
> but none of it works yet.
>
> If anyone wants to help out with the zlib engine stuff (or with the Java
> wrapper classes, java.util.jar in particular), feel free to contact me.
>
> I assume that if I do finish this I'll have to sign some paperwork, could
> someone give me advice on this?

Hi.  We've merged with libgcj over at Cygnus and they have already
written this package.  What we need to do is port it over to Classpath.
The problem is that we still have some questions outstanding on how to
handle native code, so this package is in a bit of limbo, but you
should not write a new implementation from scratch.

--
Aaron M. Renn (address@hidden) http://www.urbanophile.com/arenn/