Kaffe and Classpath (again)

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Kaffe and Classpath (again)
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 20:48:38 +0000

I've decided I'll take on the integration project in my spare time
(which is minimal) but I'm a little confused as to what the current
status is.

As far as I can see from the website and HACKING what has to be done
is:

- provide new Classpath versions of Kaffe's classes:
  o java.lang.Runtime
  o java.lang.Thread
  o java.lang.Class
  o java.lang.reflect.Constructor
  o java.lang.reflect.Method
  o java.lang.reflect.Field
These will have to do all the things that Kaffe's need to do in terms
of VM integration but must also talk to Classpath (ie: the example on
the website, Thread needs to call Classpath's ThreadGroup.add()
method).

- provide implementations of:
   o java.lang.VMObject
   o java.lang.VMClassLoader
   o java.lang.VMSystem
   o java.lang.VMSecurityManager
   o java.lang.StackFrame
   o java.lang.StackTrace
using Kaffe native methods, eg: VMClassLoader will use Kaffe's
defineClass0 native method to turn bytes into Class objects.

As has been stated *a lot* by people on this list (and on the CP
website) I don't think this is tremendously taxing.

Here are some questions that would make my job a whole lot easier:

- are the StackFrame and StackTrace classes supposed to go into
java.lang or gnu.vm.stack?

- how is the config system supposed to work? ie: how do we select
what the VM target is?
There is talk in the HACKING file of a kaffe-config file but I can't
find that anywhere (even on the mailing list where it is said to be).

Nic