Re: Kaffe and Classpath (again)

From: John Leuner
Subject: Re: Kaffe and Classpath (again)
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 21:24:12 +0000 (UTC)

> > These will have to do all the things that Kaffe's need to do in terms
> > of VM integration but must also talk to Classpath (ie: the example on
> > the website, Thread needs to call Classpath's ThreadGroup.add()
> > method).
>
> As I understand it (and I wasn't directly involved, but I was on the
> mailing list at the time of the original discussions) this isn't
> necessary. Classpath provides implementations of these classes, which
> *use*...
>
> >    o java.lang.VMObject
> >    o java.lang.VMClassLoader
> >    o java.lang.VMSystem
> >    o java.lang.VMSecurityManager
> >    o java.lang.StackFrame
> >    o java.lang.StackTrace
> > using Kaffe native methods, eg: VMClassLoader will use Kaffe's
> > defineClass0 native method to turn bytes into Class objects.
>
> ... these classes to do the stuff that is *really* VM-specific.

The problem is that some VMs (my example being my JVM, kissme) have VM
specific stuff in those top classes, ie java/lang/Thread and
java/lang/Class etc.

That stuff really should be moved into the VM* classes, but since it is
tied in with a whole lot of native code, it's not going to be a pleasant
experience.

At the moment I have just added the Classpath code to my own, merging
whatever methods are common by hand.

John Leuner