RE: Kaffe integration

From: John Keiser
Subject: RE: Kaffe integration
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 13:35:50 -0700

Nic,

Sorry it took so long to respond.  I've been having a nice, long,
non-email-reading weekend.

Thread and Class: You are correct. Thread and Class are supposed to be
implemented per VM.  I initially made VMThread and VMClass, but these
classes are almost entirely native and can usually be done more easily and
efficiently if implemented per VM.  This way you can also customize private
data members.  Code reuse and module separation sometimes goes overboard, so
I relaxed and let each VM do it.

StackTrace and StackFrame: this part of the integration is troublesome for
two reasons.  First, it has never been tested (doesn't work w/Japhar).
Second, I think in hindsight that it was a bad idea.  There are probably
lots of cool optimizations a VM could do if it owned Throwable.  Also, just
the overhead of creating a Java object for StackTrace and StackFrame is
probably pretty bad.  Really, what should happen is Throwable should become
VM-specific.  This will likely solve your problem and Brian's in the most
efficient possible manner.  I do not have the time to do this, but it would
not be hard even to switch with Japhar.

Thanks for getting this going, more VMs is always better IMO :)

Incidentally, we do support other VMs apparently, IBM is using Classpath in
theirs.

--John Keiser