Re: classpath-0.01 released

From: Bryce McKinlay
Subject: Re: classpath-0.01 released
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 19:18:29 +1300

Tom Tromey wrote:

> I think your change broke Classpath builds.
>
> Classpath's java.io.RandomAccessFile depended on the
> DataInputStream.convertTo* methods, which you removed.

You're right. Oops.

> FWIW the Classpath approach might be better here.  libgcj assumes that
> all the file-like things can be handled similarly, but this isn't true
> on all platforms.  Offhand I don't know whether RandomAccessFile is
> one of the places we'll need to change though.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here, but it sounds like a lower level
problem to me. There is a portability issue where we assume that the
native file descriptors are ints, but afaik this is confined to
FileDescriptor.java in libgcj. Classpath's RandomAccessFile does have
this problem though:

/**
  * The native file descriptor for this file
  */
private int native_fd;

It also uses a native method to implement the 1.2 method setLength().
Probibly this would be better done as a new package-private native method
in FileDescriptor.

Will investigate and fix soon.

regards

  [ bryce ]