Re: java.util.zip

From: Artur Biesiadowski
Subject: Re: java.util.zip
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 01:40:27 +0200

Mark Wielaard wrote:

> Yeah! This is great!
> I would love to have this as the default implementation in Classpath.
> Would there be any reason to not make the pure java version the default?
> (Most JVMs will probably link to zlib already but some might not.)

Only problem is that most jvms would like to read core lib from
zipped/jarred archive... and to do this need zlib on native side. So it
is basic bootstrapping problem - you need zip implementation to read zip
implementation :)

Of course one can possiblty store some basic classes in normal
filesystem, with rest in zip. But it is quite tricky to get everything
right.

Artur