ANN: GNU-Paperclips 2.3 Alpha 2

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: ANN: GNU-Paperclips 2.3 Alpha 2
Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 03:04:49 +0100

Apologies for the cross posting. I need this to go to as wide a range
of possible testers as I can get it.

The second alpha release of GNU Paperclips is now available, please
test it, even just to see if it builds on your machine.

Changes:

- cleaned up class loader and URL handler support.
- internals of Paperclips are now fixed (pretty definitely)
- modularized webapp boot class
- make based build system

About:

It runs webapps (.wars) but only when they're already unpacked. Why
no unpacking? Because I intend to support using unpacked war files.
That's coming very soon.

Still to do:

- a lot to do with the deployment descriptor processing, all we do so
far is:
  o load and bind servlets
  o set context init parameters
  o set specification of welcome files

- finish the update of the javax.servlet classes for 2.3 changes

- re-integrate the 1.0 jsp classes into javax.servlet

- add the new build system to the javax.servlet classes

- add the multiplexing for "override webapps"

How to download:

You need to use the CVS still (I'm trying to sort out how to do
releases via savannah).
Here is how to check out paperclips from CVS:

$ cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/paperclips
login
 [return]
$ cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/paperclips co
-r API_23_ALPHA_2_1 paperclips

Next release:

Will be the first BETA release. This will be announced on
servlet-interest and probably the GNU website. It will be the first
Paperclips release to be available from GNU ftp.

Nic Ferrier