Re: Event class?

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Event class?
Date: 10 May 2001 11:35:15 -0600

Shane> Q re licensing: I noted some stuff in the mailing list
Shane> regarding libgcj & classpath getting merged on occasion.  If
Shane> this is the case, how can their be a license collision?

It isn't a collision, but rather the possibility of confusion.

libgcj is entirely GPL+exception.  This includes the libgcj
implementation of java.awt.

Classpath is mostly GPL+exception, except for AWT, which is LGPL (as I
recall).

If we take classes from the libgcj AWT and put them into Classpath,
I'm afraid confusion will result.  I don't want to be in the position
of seeing classes from libgcj incorrectly relicensed and then having
to find historical evidence to make sure we can keep using them in
libgcj.  If that makes sense.  Maybe I'm too worried?

I think eventually, once the libgcj AWT is finished, we can just
delete the Classpath AWT and replace it with the libgcj
implementation.  Or maybe the other Classpath developers don't want
that.  It is a negotiation for a future day which may never come --
especially given the pace at which the libgcj AWT has been advancing
lately.

Tom