Licenses (was Event class?)

From: John Leuner
Subject: Licenses (was Event class?)
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 19:32:32 +0000

> Yeah, GNU projects seem to spend a lot of time on licensing, at least
> at certain points in their life.  I just try to remember that
> licensing is important.

I'm looking at the license for the JDK 1.3 documentation. (Click to download
the HTML docs to see it)

I'm wondering about the "subsetting" and "supersetting" clauses, what does that
imply for classpath?

Also what about vi), do we have to satisfy their testing requirements 6 months
before a release?

John Leuner

Documents that: (i) includes a complete implementation of the current version
of the Specification, without subsetting or
supersetting; (ii) implements all of the interfaces and functionality of the
Specification, as defined by Sun, without subsetting or
supersetting; (iii) includes a complete implementation of any optional
components (as defined by Sun in the Specification),
which you choose to implement, without subsetting or supersetting; (iv)
implements all of the interfaces and functionality of
such optional components, without subsetting or supersetting; (v) does not add
any additional packages, classes or interfaces to
the "java.*", "javax.*, or "org.*" packages or sub-packages (or other packages
defined by Sun); (vi) satisfies all testing
requirements available from Sun relating to the most recently published version
of the Specification six (6) months prior to any
release of the clean room implementation or upgrade thereto; (vii) does not
derive from any Sun source code or binary code
materials; and (viii) does not include any Sun source code or binary code
materials without an appropriate and separate license
from S