Re: question about time zones

From: Jochen Hoenicke
Subject: Re: question about time zones
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 13:35:09 +0200

On May 14, Tom Tromey wrote:
> I notice that the timezones.pl script doesn't read the `backward' file
> which maps old timezone names onto the new names.
>
> Is there a reason we don't support the old names?  I notice that using
> `US/Mountain' as the timezone work on my Linux box.  Why shouldn't it
> work in Classpath too?

There's no special reason.  I only listed the files in timezones.pl
that I thought were necessary.  I can include them if you want them.
I also have another patch to timezones.pl pending to fix the endTime
(JDK1.2 explicitly specifies that the time is in local wall time, not
local standard time as I previously thought).

> I haven't looked to see if the JDK supports the old names.  Does
> anybody know offhand?

Sun JDK doesn't support them. At least it doesn't list them when calling
getAvalaibleIDs.

  Jochen