Re: Building the native libraries

From: Brian Jones
Subject: Re: Building the native libraries
Date: 04 Jul 2001 11:20:30 -0400

Patrick Doyle <address@hidden> writes:

> Can someone tell me what I am supposed to do to build the native
> libraries?  I'm not too familiar with automake, and of course the
> Makefiles themselves are impenetrable.

The native libraries are built as a normal part of 'make'.  However,
to get to the point you can use 'make' from a cvs co you must first
run a few other programs.

aclocal; autoheader; automake; autoconf
./configure <options>
make

If you prefer, you can also do this...

aclocal; autoheader; automake; autoconf
mkdir build
cd build
../configure <options>
make

You may run into some problems with the native compilation because the
whole thing is still more oriented towards Japhar than it should be.
If I get the time tomorrow (I'm on vacation, yay!) I'll take a look at
this and try to figure out how to get around this.  Suggestions
welcome.

You may want to look at the directions, etc. that other VM
implementors are using such as SableVM to compile Classpath for their
VM until we make it a bit easier from configure.

--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>