Re: Java tools

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: Java tools
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 19:43:37 +0100

>>> Brian Jones <address@hidden> 10-Jul-01 7:24:44 PM >>>

   Copyright assignment is useful for making the
   core libraries legally defensible in whole from a
   single party, the FSF.

I don't think that there's a particular problem with (c) assignment.
The reasons for requiring it can be easily explained (protection for
developers more than anything).

On the other hand, the onus is then on us to ensure that the
programmers we're accepting from have done everything right (ie: not
copied Sun (or any non-free) code).

   To date I don't think we've refused to accept code
   under a different license for tools.  Certainly a simple
   javap, javah, and javadoc would be nice to have.

Well then. It seems the best thing to do would be to create a module
for javadoc and ask Julian to join you.

Let me know privately if you want me to do it (in which case you'll
have to set me up on Classpath's savannah) or if you'll talk to him
yourself.

His mail address is:

   address@hidden

There is at least one other person who hacks on the texidoclet.

Nic