Re: Chained Exceptions and StackTraceElement support

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Chained Exceptions and StackTraceElement support
Date: 13 Jul 2001 11:02:14 -0600

>>>>> "Mark" == Mark Wielaard <address@hidden> writes:

Mark> I was hoping that we could use the java version of
Mark> printStackTrace and let the VM only handle the
Mark> fillInStackTrace() <-> StackTraceElement side of things. This
Mark> might be doable for japhar as far as I can understand the
Mark> code. But for libgcj this might be a bit more difficuly since it
Mark> seems to use external programs (addr2line and c++filt) through
Mark> pipes to get and print this information.

libgcj uses addr2line to map a PC value to a file name and line
number.  This makes for very convenient stack traces.

c++filt is of course used to demangle symbols so that they are
readable.

It would be great if we could merge the libgcj Throwable with
Classpath's.  Perhaps this could be done by separating it into a
VM-independent and a VM-specific piece.

Tom