Re: Bug fix in java.lang.Boolean

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Bug fix in java.lang.Boolean
Date: 13 Jul 2001 11:11:35 -0600

>>>>> "Eric" == Eric Blake <address@hidden> writes:

Eric> Unless java.lang.Boolean.value is final, reflection is free to
Eric> modify the field given sufficient permission.
Eric> [ ... ]
Eric> Immutable objects must be immutable!  Classpath ought to
Eric> have better security than Sun, so here is the patch for Boolean.

I wonder if compatibility with Sun is important here.
(I doubt it.)

Eric> (in particular, we need to make sure that reflection cannot be
Eric> used to change how reflection will behave

While I agree that this is nicer conceptually, why is it a
requirement?  In theory the only cases where it matters will be those
where a SecurityManager is installed anyway.

Tom