Re: [Classpath] Re: Question about Boolean

From: Jeff Sturm
Subject: Re: [Classpath] Re: Question about Boolean
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 22:05:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
> On 19 Jul 2001, Tom Tromey wrote:
> >
> > Mark> Would it not be simpler to add a VMClassLoader class to libgcj
> > Mark> that implements the getPrimitiveClass() method?
> >
> > I'd prefer not to, simply because the current implementation is more
> > efficient.  It is just a single relocation.  I'm just going to punt on
>
> Oh, come *on*!  This code is executed *ONCE*!  It's in a *static
> initializer*.  *No one* is going to notice the extra cycles.  Trust me.

Chances are 99% of gcj users wouldn't notice or care.  Very small
memory configurations might.  The cycles aren't important, it's whatever
memory is taken from loading classes that wouldn't otherwise be used.

(I know someone who once had a usable libgcj runtime in 28KB of memory.
I'll grant that that takes a lot of hacking anyway... he didn't even have
a String class in his runtime.)

That said, I'm ambivalent about the patch.  I understand the portability
concerns, but there are several classes in java.lang that aren't worth the
trouble to merge, perhaps this is one.  Or perhaps the preprocessing
infrastructure that Anthony Green proposed could help here.

Jeff