Re: Kaffe & Classpath

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: Kaffe & Classpath
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 21:43:59 +0100

>>> Drake Wilson <address@hidden> 08-Aug-01 8:27:51 PM >>>

   I'm sure I don't understand all the differences
   between Kaffe and Sun's  JDK, but why would one
   need to 'port' Classpath to Kaffe?  Shouldn't most
   Java just work?

Yes.

But the native code and VM dependant code does need to be ported.
This is stuff like the primordial class loader and the Object
implementation.

To a lesser extent things like Socket implementation have to be
ported.

   Does Classpath use some features that Kaffe doesn't have,
   or uses different syntax for, or has but not quite in the same
   manner, ... what?

It's simply a question of getting the right hooks into the VM code.

Nic